Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Piece of the pie

Hello everyone.
    So I was going back over some homework and I remembered that I was having issues with one of the problems. At first I was a little confused. I figured out that my initial hangup was not about the problem itself but of the terminology. I had forgotten what the definitions of multiple and factor were ( I know it was foolish of me but keep in mind that I slept a lot this past summer).
  Anyways, I am going to go over the problem and the definitions. Hopefully this might help some of you on the test if you happen to blank out on a problem like this.


First, I will go over the definitions.

Factor- a number that will divide into another number exactly (ex. factors of 10 are 1,2,5)

Multiple- the product of the number and any other whole number (ex. 2,4,6,8 are multiples of 2)

Now let's tackle the problem.

The spinner shown below is spun. (Assume that the size of each sector is the same.) Find each possibility.

a)   P(factor of 15)

b)   P(multiple of 2)

Now let's find the factors of 15. There are 3 numbers that will divide into 15. They are: 1,3,5

Since there is a total of 8 sections in the spinner and we only want to know how many of the 8 sections are factors of 15 we put 3 over 8.

a) P(factor of 15)= 3/8


Now let's find the multiples of 2. There are 4 numbers that are multiples of 2. They are: 2,4,6,8

Since there is a total of 8 sections in the spinner and we only want to know how many of the 8 sections are multiples of  2 we put 4 over 8.

b) P(multiple of 2)= 4/8 = 1/2


The definitions came from http://math.about.com/library/blm.htm and the problem came from MyMathLab.

 link
A link for an example on how to complete a problem similar to this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment