Monday, September 10, 2012

What will Lucy do?

Hi all. I have a new problem for you. In this experiment I used my little chug (chihuahua and pug mix), Lucy to help me solve a problem. Enjoy!

If the probability of Lucy choosing a rawhide treat is 5%, what are the odds of her choosing a tasty yam treat over the rawhide? ( she has enjoyed many treats)


So, to start this problem we are going to find the probability that Lucy will pick the rawhide treat. There are 5 chances out of 100 that she will pick the rawhide treat. So we would write this as 5/100.Simplify.

P(rawhide)= 1/20

Next, we have to find the probability that she will pick the tasty yam treat instead.

P(yam treat)= 1-1/20= 19/20

The probability that Lucy picks the rawhide treat is 1/20, and the probability that Lucy picks the yam treat instead is 19/20.

The odds against the rawhide are   19/20
                                                      1/20

So the odds against Lucy picking the rawhide vs the yam treat is 19 to 1. She really loves yams!

       Here's a great Link I found on odds

7 comments:

  1. Very cute pics and links. I really like the probability activity at the top with tagged and not tagged. I think it explained the math well and was very cute! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Holly!
    This post was so cute! and so is your dog! I like how you took probability and related it to a real life situation! It was also helpful with explaining probability!
    -Michaelah Mazek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Holly!
    Let me start off by saying you have the cutest dog! I love the pink shorts on Lucy (I believe those are shorts). Anyways, that was really clever relating probability to a real life situation. I think that it is always a good idea to try to relate problems to real life situations, especially math problems. Most kids today always ask "When am I ever going to use this?" By giving them an example of when they might, shows them that it's relevant and meaningful! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is so cute! I love it! My favorite part about it is that you used animals in it. I love animals and since yours had some in it I really wanted to go through and look at all your posts and pictures. Your pets are adorable btw. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of choosing you pet and the blog is very well done. I enjoyed looking at all the links you had. It is a very good study material. Very cute pics of dogs and turtles. I guess probability can be done in many different ways. Using real life activities is a great idea. Great job! :)

    Leena Raj

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it hilarious and awesome that you used your "chug" as an example! It's so fun & i've never heard that one before! She is too cute. I have a Chiweenie, lol. Anyway, your blog is so cute & kind of psychedelic :) I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you found away of using your own dog for a probability example. I can tell by your innovation that you are going to be an amazing teacher an your students are going to be so excited to come class every day. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete